Traditionally, Dashboards and Charts are one-directional, read-only.
Using the Data Entry implementation makes it possible to construct a form that allows its users to edit rows in a table, according to conditions that you pre-define.
This implementation may then be embedded into a Tableau Dashboard, enabling you to edit a row in your data right there in you dashboard.
Potential Use Cases:
- Commenting / Annotating Dashboards, Charts or even individual data points, e.g. highlighting reasons for a drop in revenue, etc.
- Providing Team Members that are not Data experts with a supervised access to editing data.
- Building simple Admin dashboards to manage users, inventory, etc.
- Maintaining a recipient list in your date for Mail Merge Reports
In order to be able to use the data entry tool a couple pre-requisites must be met.
- Full control of an SQL Table that is accessible from the internet.
- An editable table created in PushMetrics.
- A Tableau dashboard with PushMetrics embedding and Parameter Actions configured.
Set up a database connection in PushMetrics.
Create a new table in your database.
Note: Your Table must include all Rows. You cannot add rows using the data entry tool.
Create a Dataset in PushMetrics, pointed to a single table or view.
Explore Dataset in Superset and pick the “Editable Table” as visualisation.
Set up your view. What Columns will be displayed?
Choose your Primary Key. How is the edited row identified?
Choose the editing mode. What does editing in the final form look like?
Configure your editing form. What changes can a user make in your Table?
Choose which options of Create, Edit, and Delete are available.
Enable Tableau embedding and choose linking parameters.
Create an extension file for Tableau.
Create a Tableau Dashboard with action parameters and add the extension.
Lastly, give the PushMetrics user the correct Permissions to make changes in the Datasource.